Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Power

When we think of the word "power" many of us no doubt would define it in different ways. Some of the standard dictionary definitions of the word include:
-great or marked ability to do or act; strength; might; force
-a person or thing that possesses or exercises authority or influence
Most of these definitions imply the ability to do something, and while this is true I can't help but think Christ had something else in mind. When we think of power we think of being able to do anything you want, having authority over others either at home or work, or maybe even being able to force others to do what you want. Certainly Christ was capable of doing all these things. All the elements of the earth were under His control. But one the many astonishing attributes of Jesus was the fact that maybe some of his greatest lessons were not when he exercised the power given to Him, but rather the fact that He chose not to. You can see countless numbers of examples from being tempted by Satan to allowing Lazarus to die before healing him to His mockery of a trial and even His death. The fact Jesus had the ability to do things beyond man's comprehension and yet restrained Himself caused many people to doubt. Paul tells us in I Corinthians 1:22-24

"Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God."

To the Jews real power was taking back the City of Jerusalem, overthrowing the Romans and re-establishing the thrown of David on earth. To the Greeks, real power was the ability to orate and think on intellectual subjects and gain popularity through the masses. But Christ shows us true power. The real power of Christ wasn't the fact that He could control the universe and even people if He chose to. The real power of Christ is in the ability to cause people to change. In His life and death, Christ showed us how we can be transformed. He showed us how through humility, compassions, love, grace and mercy we can overcome sin and be like the Father. His real power is in how He changes us. Men can hurt my body, destroy my name, and even take away the things I love, but they can never touch my mind, heart and soul. Christ can reach into the inner depths of my being. He shows me a more excellent way. Praise the Lord, Christ has shown us the way! Not through a creed or doctrine, but through transformation of heart.

Lord, I pray you would allow your Son to penetrate the deepest parts of my being. Give me the courage and humility necessary to let Him change me. I struggle with holding on to my own desires and habits. Let Christ's grace tear down those walls. Let me know the peace and hope of being formed in Your image. Teach me the true power of your Son. Amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good thoughts and post, man. I posted about the meek inheriting the earth recently and had a very similar line of through in it. Some of your thoughts further emphasize what I was already thinking.

Very encouraging.

Isaac said...

The more I study and read about Jesus the more impressed I am with the specific way He chose to do everything. He seems to focus everything on the premise of changing our hearts to be humble, compassionate, and selfless. I really think that's how He intends us to overcome sin, when we live selflessly sin can't control us bc we're not us anymore, we're Him.

Anonymous said...

Very well put. "It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me"